[ RadSafe ] cost per kilowatt ratio

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sat Feb 10 14:36:58 CST 2007

Feb. 10

         This ratio question is a ridiculous question.  No industrialized
country can exist on a wind and hydroelectric grid.  The question does not
even rise to the level of being hypothetical.  It is sheer fantasy, and
even if someone could devise a plausible ratio, the ratio would serve no
practical purpose.

         What forms the basis for your "reasoning," James?  What are your
assumptions about costs, and have you done the calculations to arrive at
the "three times as expensive" claim?

         Keep in mind that the cost of wind power can only fall to a
certain level, because there are certain fixed costs that it will always
incur.  Those giant windmills can not be manufactured, installed,
maintained and decommissioned for nothing.  (Nobody cares about your
political and social leanings.  However:  I note that you said you are "a
fiscal conservative," and that you also favor a "single payer health
care."  These two positions are contradictory.  Single-payer means
socialized medicine with its attendant astronomical costs.  No fiscal
conservative can support socialized medicine.  This is not an invitation
for a debate about socialized medicine.  I am merely pointing out that your
two positions are contradictory.)

         So what if "the uranyl ion was used to stain DNA before the
structure of DNA was even known."?  This proves nothing.  Why should "It
should not come as a surprise to learn that it affects chromosomes and
causes birth defects."?  Are you suggesting that using a substance as a
stain automatically means it will affect chromosomes and cause birth
defects?  Besides, I don't think you (or anyone else) have shown that
uranyl does cause birth defects.  If someone has, please present citations
to primary source material.  If it becomes necessary, I will be glad to
withdraw my skepticism about the uranyl-birth defect connection.  First I
want to read some studies.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com