[ RadSafe ] Re: Differences in Background radiation anddisease incidence

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 12 12:30:11 CST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to suggest what I believe is a substantial defect in the
National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council,  Commission on Life
Sciences 1988 Report on the effects of radon on health [  "Health Risks of
Radon and Other Internally Deposited Alpha-Emitters: BEIR IV (1988)" ] which
has been presented as contradicting so strongly the ecological studies of
Dr. Cohen which have suggested a strong inverse relationship between
elevated radon in air and lung cancer.

After the BEIR-IV report was issued, I attended a talk at a HPS meeting
around 1989-90 by Dr. William Ellet, who as Project Director on the National
Research Council Staff, board on Radiation Effects Research, coordinated the
BEIR-IV report preparation.

At the conclusion of his dinner talk to a large audience, Dr. Ellet
immediately lit up a cigarette before he was able to entertain questions and
he smoked very heavily during the question and answer period, lighting up
several cigarettes [relevance to follow].

My question to him from the floor was related to whether the NAS committee,
which reviewed the lung cancer rates in uranium miners and other underground
miner cohorts, in its report on radon and lung cancer took into account the
growing and substantial evidence of the effects of second-hand smoke on lung
cancer rates?  My question concerned the fact that many miners who were
classified as "non-smokers" would have had regular exposure to second-hand
smoke from fellow miners during their breaks over their working lives,  and
that it was very possible a good fraction of the lung cancers attributed
among non-smokers to radon exposure was in fact due to their unavoidable
exposure to second-hand smoke. This factor would clearly reduce the claimed
effects of radon on excess lung cancer rates among "non-smoking" miners.

Also the exposure of smokers to the established effects of smoking on lung
cancer rates would have been increased by additional exposure to second hand
smoke [i.e.: smokers should have actually been properly classified as
"higher packs per day" smokers if second hand smoke were properly
considered] so lung cancers among "smokers" in the BEIR-IV study cohorts for
any level of radon exposure would have been reduced, if smoking were
properly adjusted for second hand smoke.

When I posed the above question/comment to Dr. Ellet about whether second
hand smoke could reduce the effects of radon on lung cancer for both smokers
and especially non-smokers, he quite simply exploded in anger at my
suggestion. His reply if memory serves me right was:

 "If you think you're so damn smart, why don't you analyze what effect
second-hand smoke would have on reducing lung cancer rates."

Has anyone ever done the type of analysis suggested by my question to Dr.
Ellet?? If not, it should be done since it would "undermine" so to speak
some of the claims that radon is as large a factor in lung cancer rates as
some claim,  and by reducing the "signal" of excess lung cancer rates for
uranium and other underground miners broaden the confidence intervals for
excess lung cancer rates for any given level of supposed radon exposure to
miners.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Farber Technical Services
1285 Wood Ave.