[ RadSafe ] Re: Differences in Background radiation and disease incidence

Otto Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 12 11:01:57 CST 2007

At 08:28 AM 2/12/2007, Bernard L. Cohen wrote:
>          ---The problem is that the "powers that be" refuse to consider
> such evidence. My radon study does what you say with tremendous
> statistical accuracy, and it treats over 500 potential confounding
> factors, and does a lot of other things with no statistical uncertainty,
> but it is ignored. They refuse to even consider an ecological study and
> they ignore all the evidence I have presented.
>>**********************************

February 12, 2007

I believe that Prof. Cohen's studies provide the most reliable available
information about radon risk to the general public because they are based
on appropriate dosimetry. In his studies he used overall average
radon-in-home measurements in each U.S. County as a surrogate for relative
lifetime average alpha radiation dose rate to the respiratory tract for
people living in each County. It is the LIFETIME average alpha radiation
dose rate to the lung that needs to be considered in estimating the risk
from radon in homes.

In contrast, the case-control studies of indoor radon such as are presented
in BEIR VI (e.g. Figure G-1, page 377) use selected isolated measurements
of radon concentration in each individual's home for each case or control
and there is no way that these measurements can properly represent the
LIFETIME average alpha radiation dose rate to the lung of any individual in
contrast to other selected individuals. In addition, the resulting widely
variable results are used to assign a risk relative to ZERO lifetime alpha
radiation dose to the lung even though there is not one single person in
the study whose lifetime dose is zero. Then, with these totally imprecise
surrogate estimates of lung dose for specific individuals, a regression
analysis is performed fitting these imprecise data to a log-linear (in the
case of Figure G-1) or linear function beginning at zero dose. I think the
results of these types of studies are inherently unreliable.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140