[ RadSafe ] Re: Shipyard worker study

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 15:40:55 CST 2007

Without attachments

--- John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Keith,
> Here is a review of the shipyard study, and an
> article
> I had on the healthy worker effect.  If you do not
> get
> them, let me know and I will try another.
>
> Whether or not you accept the idea of "benefits"
> some
> believe this study shows, is your decision.  I am
> just
> supplying you with addition scientific information.
> Personally, I would not cite a study that may be
> error.  That is what the anti-nuclear crowd
> routinely
> do.
>
> --- John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Keith,
> > I believe that I still have a copy of a article
> that
> > reivews the shipyard study.  I check on Monday and
> > send it to you.
> >
> > --- Keith Welch <welch at jlab.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks John,
> > >
> > > The things I am wondering about (anecdotal
> > > information I've heard over
> > > the years) don't have anything to do with
> asbestos
> > > exposure, but I
> > > suppose that could be an issue.  However, I
> would
> > > think since asbestos
> > > illness is fairly well identifiable (from what I
> > > understand) that
> > > adjustments could be made for that.  It's hard
> > > imagine that the
> > > existence of asbestos illness in shipyard
> > employees
> > > makes them
> > > (generally) significantly less healthy than the
> > > general population.  I
> > > have obtained a copy of the study, and one day,
> > > maybe I'll get a chance
> > > to actually go through it and try to learn
> > > something.  My questions also
> > > had to do with review of the study by Cameron
> and
> > > Sponsler.  I don't
> > > recall seeing in that an indication that the
> > > unexposed cohort was less
> > > healthy than general population, but I haven't
> > > studied it closely or
> > > recently.  Does the shipyard study (or any other
> > > study) provide a
> > > mortality comparison of the unexposed cohort
> with
> > > "general population"?

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist