[ RadSafe ] Re: Shipyard worker study

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 13:53:16 CST 2007

Keith,
Here is a review of the shipyard study, and an article
I had on the healthy worker effect.  If you do not get
them, let me know and I will try another.

Whether or not you accept the idea of "benefits" some
believe this study shows, is your decision.  I am just
supplying you with addition scientific information.
Personally, I would not cite a study that may be
error.  That is what the anti-nuclear crowd routinely
do.

--- John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Keith,
> I believe that I still have a copy of a article that
> reivews the shipyard study.  I check on Monday and
> send it to you.
>
> --- Keith Welch <welch at jlab.org> wrote:
>
> > Thanks John,
> >
> > The things I am wondering about (anecdotal
> > information I've heard over
> > the years) don't have anything to do with asbestos
> > exposure, but I
> > suppose that could be an issue.  However, I would
> > think since asbestos
> > illness is fairly well identifiable (from what I
> > understand) that
> > adjustments could be made for that.  It's hard to
> > imagine that the
> > existence of asbestos illness in shipyard
> employees
> > makes them
> > (generally) significantly less healthy than the
> > general population.  I
> > have obtained a copy of the study, and one day,
> > maybe I'll get a chance
> > to actually go through it and try to learn
> > something.  My questions also
> > had to do with review of the study by Cameron and
> > Sponsler.  I don't
> > recall seeing in that an indication that the
> > unexposed cohort was less
> > healthy than general population, but I haven't
> > studied it closely or
> > recently.  Does the shipyard study (or any other
> > study) provide a
> > mortality comparison of the unexposed cohort with
> > "general population"?

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist