[ RadSafe ] [nuclear news] Hearing set for nuclear reactors at Plant Vogtle

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Mon Feb 12 20:05:38 CST 2007

Mike --

These meetings require more than coffee ... it'll be large doses of Diet
Mtn. Dew I'm sure <grin>

Jim

>>> M Mahathy <mmahathy at yahoo.com> 02/12/07 8:27 PM >>>

  Jim:

  I hope things go well.  We need those new reactors.  Drink plenty of
coffee.

  Mike

Jim Hardeman <Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us> wrote:
  Sandy --

Funny you should include this article, as even as I type I'm in a hotel
room in Waynesboro, GA -- I didn't want to get up at oh-dark-hundred
tomorrow morning and drive ~160 miles for a 9AM meeting -- so that I can
participate in this hearing. The AJC article didn't mention it, but the
NRC press release did -- this pre-hearing conference w/ the ASLB will
involve lawyers for all parties arguing why the potential
intervenors should / should not be granted status to intervene --
promises to be about as exciting as watching paint dry. The meeting DOES
hold the potential, however, to be important -- not only for Vogtle and
Southern Nuclear, but for the future of nuclear generation in the US.

Stay tuned for further developments ...

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4220 International Parkway, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675
Fax: (404) 362-2653
E-mail: Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Sandy Perle" 02/12/07 12:38 PM >>>

Hearing set for nuclear reactors at Plant Vogtle
DTE Energy chief to discuss nuclear power in Michigan today
South Africa gets second nuclear reactor
Nuclear Detectives
Solar Tower Prospects Firm in Ward County
Iran ready to cooperate in Belarussian nuclear plant: Ambassador

Hearing set for nuclear reactors at Plant Vogtle

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Feb 12 - The Nuclear Regulatory
Commission's Atomic Safety and Licensing Board is holding a pre-hearing
conference at 9 a.m. Tuesday in Waynesboro, near Augusta, to hear
arguments
for and against granting Southern Nuclear Operating Co. an early site
permit
to add two nuclear reactors at Plant Vogtle. Five environmental groups
are
protesting the proposed units, citing concerns about the impact on the
Savannah River, low-income and minority communities nearby, potential
terrorist attacks and energy alternatives.

A three-judge panel will hear arguments from the environmentalists, NRC
staff and Southern Nuclear. A decision is expected in several weeks on
whether the environmentalists have legal standing to proceed with a
formal
hearing.

The pre-hearing conference will be in the auditorium of the Augusta
Technical College's Waynesboro/Burke Campus at 216 Ga. 24 S.

Written statements can be submitted at any time to the Office of the
Secretary, Rulemakings and Adjudications Staff, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory
Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001; or by fax to 301-415-1101; or by
e-mail to hearingdocket at nrc.gov. Copies also should be sent to the
chairman
of the licensing board as follows: Administrative Judge G. Paul
Bollwerk,
III, Atomic Safety and Licensing Board Panel (Mail Stop T-3F23), U.S.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC, 20555-0001; or by fax to
301-415-5599; or by e-mail to gpb at nrc.gov.