AW: [ RadSafe ] cost per kilowatt ratio

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Mon Feb 12 20:23:18 CST 2007

Hi Jack,

I don't see solar as being viable any time soon, wind either. I do
think that both could be used more effectively. You give a very good
example of a situation where solar may vary well be your best option.
There are certainly other places where solar and wind power are
viable and should be used.

In Chicago, solar is at best a pipe dream as 80% of our days on
average are cloudy (http://www.city-data.com/city/Chicago-
Illinois.html). Sometimes I wonder why I live here, oh yeah, a job or
something like that.

Not in the least is that a few national solar plant farms like that
location in New Mexico would be the biggest terrorist targets in
history.

Nuclear will certainly be the best option over the next century. My
prognostication skills get poorer and poorer as we go farther out in
time, though.

I believe that nuclear electricity generation will also end up being
subsidized to some extent by hydrogen generation for automobile use.
There are current materials issues to be worked out but hydrogen
sales should subsidize the cost of electricity production as well.
This may be a pipe dream but who knows.

Jeff