[ RadSafe ] Thank you

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 04:29:37 CST 2007

Dear Mr Perle,

Thank you for including  the news item referring to the article by Lee Benson in Deseret Morning News. Mr Benson has interviewed a health physicist and gave due considerstion to his sober views.

Regards
K.S.Parthasarathy

Radiation Facts Get Thumbs Up (note comments from Radsafe members)
-------

Radiation Facts Get Thumbs Up (note comments from Radsafe members)

By Lee Benson Deseret Morning News - Feb 9

I do not know an isotope from a rem. Let's get that clear right up
front. I am not a physicist, scientist or Ph.D. I know way more about
the infield fly rule than atoms and gamma rays.

After quoting retired health physicist Blaine Howard about the
relative safety of the proposed Divine Strake blast in Nevada, I
heard from a lot of people who do know about such things.

It wasn't the first time. Over the past several years, whenever I
have quoted professionals who suggest that the public's fear of
things nuclear is often not grounded in science, I typically receive
a thumbs up from the scientific community.

Among the latest responses:

-- "Thanks again for enlightening us on the issue of radiation. As a
person who deals with P32 in experiments (the best way to track the
movements of DNA with gels) and X-rays in patients, your willingness
to cite sound reasoning is very welcome." -- John D. Kriesel, M.D.

-- "Blaine Howard is correct. In all these matters, one has to be a
little suspicious of the political objectives behind some of the fear-
mongers who prey on the public's trust." -- Darrell R. Fisher, Ph.D.

 -- "While the press often exaggerates the effects of radiation
exposure, here is an article that gets it right." -- Wesley R. Van
Pelt, Ph.D., CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist), CHP (Certified
Health Physicist).

-- "Your article should calm irrational fears. It's also interesting
to note that ANY explosion will send radioactivity into the air
because all soil contains some natural radioactivity." -- Glenn
Marshall, CHP.

-- "Congratulations for writing on Utah radiation after interviewing
a health physicist. I am a science reporter and former secretary to
the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board of India. I have tried to allay
the unfounded fears of the members of the public who always believe
that radiation is more harmful than any other agent." -- K.S.
Parthasarathy, Ph.D. (Mubai, India).

-- "I agree with and endorse (Blaine Howard's) main points. Thus
agreeing makes me a member of a small minority. Nevertheless I
believe my credentials are such that my opinions should carry at
least a little weight. I received BS and MS degrees from BYU in
physics and mathematics. There followed four years of nuclear physics
research experience with the Air Force. In 1967 I received a Ph.D.
degree in nuclear physics from the University of Utah.

Thereafter I worked for 30 years at the Los Alamos National
Laboratory, specializing in measurements of radioactive substances.
After returning to live permanently again in Utah after 43 years I
was deeply disappointed (appalled might be the better word) at how
seriously undereducated with respect to ionizing radiation most of
the people in Utah are, and how violently emotional some are in
opposition to something they seem to know very little. If I may say
so, the attitude of many who oppose nuclear anything (Divine Strake,
storage of nuclear waste, nuclear power and etc.) is roughly
equivalent to wanting to permanently close all the swimming pools of
Utah because people drowned because of careless lifeguards over fifty
years ago." -- Jack Parker, Ph.D.

Lee Benson's column runs Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Please
send e-mail to benson at desnews.com and faxes to 801-237-2527.