Security of radioactive sources [Re: [ RadSafe ] Nuclear Detectives]

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Tue Feb 13 07:45:03 CST 2007

Barbara et Al:
I don't think this is such a non-issue. Besides all the fixed sources in
(e.g.) medical facilities and nuclear material from power plants, many
commercial companies have fairly large numbers of (highly mobile) AmBe and
Cs137 sources (oh, and "minitron"-type neutron generators) spread around
the world for use in their field operations. (sometimes in unstable
areas!). Their security is a major concern.

Whether the danger of a dirty bomb is real or hyped, the reality is that
these sources are a target for theft, whether for terrorist use or simple
profit.

And I know (anecdotally, not my company!) of one real case of such a source
being stolen in Africa and turning up in the hands of bad guys in Europe.....

No doubt, the media will hype any event they get their noses into, but it
is the ones that fly under their radar that are truly worrysome.

Regards
Doug

At 06:02 PM 2/12/2007, BLHamrick at aol.com wrote:
>......Perhaps we should be spending more on the things that kill people
>with a
>little more frequency and reliability......instead of this nonsense.
>In a message dated 2/12/2007 10:06:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>sandyfl at cox.net writes:
>
>Nuclear  Detectives
>Part One: Theft and Smuggling
>Given that just one  nuclear device in the wrong hands would cause untold
>devastation and loss  of life, keeping track of nuclear material is a top
>priority.
>Where do radioactive materials come from? And how do these become  available
>to the "wrong hands"?
>This first programme examines  theft, smuggling and what happens next.

Doug Aitken                     Office Phone 281 285-7966
QHSE Advisor                    Home Phone 713 797-0919
D&M Operations Support  Cell Phone    713 562-8585
Schlumberger Technology Corporation