[ RadSafe ] Re: Radon and Lung Cancer

Wesley wesvanpelt at verizon.net
Wed Feb 14 08:09:43 CST 2007

Ruth,

Geographic epidemiology has always fascinated me.  Perhaps my fascination is
because it is so visual and, at the superficial level, easy to understand.

It can certainly stimulate the imagination and generate conjectures about
cause. However, sifting out actual causation can be very difficult due to
the many possibilities. For example: migration (i.e., people moving,
especially at retirement age), race, regional customs, religious customs,
sunshine (the competing issues of vitamin D and skin cancer), regional diet,
trace minerals in soil (and hence food crops), air pollution, medical care,
genome differences, altitude (and oxygen tension), radon, external gamma
dose, cosmic ray dose, childhood vaccination, fraction of population going
into the military, highway safety (design and maintenance of roads, speed
limit), average highway distance traveled per year, dental care, etc.

Best regards,
Wes
Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP
Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.