[ RadSafe ] RE: Radon and Lung Cancer

Wesley wesvanpelt at verizon.net
Wed Feb 14 09:05:33 CST 2007

Dear Otto,

Let me now address the more difficult issue of causation. That is, given the
decrease in county level average lung cancer with both altitude and county
average radon concentration, what is the cause?  It is not enough to just
conclude from Cohen's work that LNT does not work. The lung cancer rate
differences by county must be caused by something. (Epidemiologists might
argue with this statement.)  I believe you and Prof. Cohen would have to
conclude that increased radon somehow reduces the lung cancer rate. How?
Presumably the radiation from radon stimulates the immune system to fight
off the lung cancer. (Sorry for the broad brush radiobiology here!)
However, radon dose rate is primarily high LET alpha radiation. Everything I
know about radiation hormesis indicates low LET and low dose rate radiation
is effective in stimulating the immune system. Are you saying that high LET
alpha dose has a net hormetic effect for lung cancer?  On the other hand,
oxygen tension, for reasons detailed in my paper, is a plausible biological
cause.

Best regards,

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP