[ RadSafe ] RE: Radon and Lung Cancer

Philippe Duport phduport at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 14 12:50:00 CST 2007

Here is a far from exhaustive list of references, in no particular order,
that show apparent thresholds at low doses of alpha radiation.  Could anyone
cite references which show unequivocal linear dose-effect relationships for
cancer induction at low doses of alpha radiation in mammals, including
humans.  NO EXTRAPOLATIONS, PLEASE!  NO IN VITRO STUDIES!  Isolated cell and
tissue cultures do not benefit from the array of defense mechnisms that
exist in whole organisms.

Lloyd, Ray D.; Taylor, Glenn N.; Fisher, Darrell R.; Schlenker, Robert A.;
Miller, Scott C.  Effective Thresholds for Induction of Skeletal
Malignancies by Radionuclides.  Health Physics. 79(6):722-727, December
2000.

Conrady J., Martin, K., Poffijn, A., Tirmarche, M., Lembecke, J., Thai,
D.M., Martin, H. High residential radon health effects in Saxony (Schneeberg
study).  Report Contract No. FI4P-CT95-0027, European Community (1999).

Evans R.D. The effects of skelatally deposited Alpha-ray emitters in man.
Brit J Radiol. 39:  881-895 (1967).

Evans, R.D.  Radium in man.  Health Physics 27(5):497-510 (1974)

Raabe O.G, Parks N.J. and Book S.A. Dose-response relationships for bone
tumors in Beagle exposed to 226Ra and 90Sr.  Health Physics 40(6):863-880
(1981).

Sanders C.L., McDonald, K.E., Mahafey, J.A.  Lung tumor response to inhaled
Pu and its implications for radiation protection.  Health Phys. 55(2):455
(1988).

Tokarskaya,Z.B.; Okladnikova,N.D.; Belyaeva,Z.D.; Drozhko,E.G.
Multifactorial analysis of lung cancer dose-response relationships for
workers at the Mayak nuclear enterprise.  Health Physics 73(6):899-905
(1997).

White, R.G., Raabe, O.G., Culbertson, M.R., Parks, N.S., Samuels, S.J.,
Rosenblatt, L.S.  Bone sarcoma characteristics and distribution in Beagles
injected with radium 226.   Radiat. Res. 137:361 (1994).

R.E. Mitchel, J.S. Jackson and B. Heinmiller,  Inhaled uranium ore dust and
lung cancer risk in rats. Health Phys 76(2):145-55 (1999).

E.A. Nekolla, M. Kreisheimer, A.M. Kellerer, M. Kuse-Isingschulte, W.
Gössner, H. Spiess,  Induction of Malignant Bone Tumors in Radium-224
Patients: Risk Estimates Based on the Improved Dosimetry. Radiat Res
153(1):93-103 (2000).

The last reference shows clearly enough that, for radon decay products, the
relevant parameter is the dose rate, not the total accumulated dose - an
elevated risk is observed at a low exposure (low dose) delivered at a high
dose rate. At the same total low dose delivered at a low dose rate (still
much larger than for indoor or contemporary mine exposure conditions) the
risk of lung cancer disappears. A long time ago, Otto Raabe has clearly
establish that dose rate (for alpha radiation) is the important parameter
for cancer induction.  Weak exceptions to the apparent absence of thresholds
may be found for short-lived alpha emitters, but they are far from certain
(Nekolla, above).

G. Monchaux, J-P. Morlier, S. Altmeyer, M. Debroche and M. Morin,  Influence
of exposure rate on lung cancer induction in rats exposed to 222Rn D.P.
Radiat Res 152:S137-S140 (1999).

Philippe Duport