[ RadSafe ] uranium combustion product inhalation

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 09:29:28 CST 2007

When I at a research facility during my time in the
Navy, we received a call from a Naval Command.  During
a war exercise, one of our ships accidently fired DU
rounds at another of our ships.  One man was killed
and another lost an arm.  The command was concerned
about the internal alpha contamination.  We thought
that was the least of the problems.

--- בריקנר דב <brickner at smile.net.il> wrote:

> Dear Franz and list
> Both DU and tungsten projectiles kill by
> "conventional " hazards - direct hit of fragments
> and fire or explosion of ammunition in the affected
> vehicle. About 22 soldeirs in the 1st Gulf war were
> injured by DU fragmnets - none suffered renal
> toxicity to the best of my knowledge.
> I agree that my prime concern (as an MD) in case of
> exposure to DU projectile hit (without visible
> injury)is to avoid chemical injury.
> Tungsten was used in projectiles in the past (and
> perhaps is still in use - thanks God I have left the
> army business), with modern armor I doubt it is
> still as effective as DU, but this is off off topic.
> Dov Brickner     MD
> Beer-Sheva   ISRAEL

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist