[ RadSafe ] uranium combustion product inhalation

בריקנר דב brickner at smile.net.il
Sun Feb 11 10:15:15 CST 2007

Dear Franz and list
Both DU and tungsten projectiles kill by "conventional " hazards - direct hit of fragments and fire or explosion of ammunition in the affected vehicle. About 22 soldeirs in the 1st Gulf war were injured by DU fragmnets - none suffered renal toxicity to the best of my knowledge.
I agree that my prime concern (as an MD) in case of exposure to DU projectile hit (without visible injury)is to avoid chemical injury.
Tungsten was used in projectiles in the past (and perhaps is still in use - thanks God I have left the army business), with modern armor I doubt it is still as effective as DU, but this is off off topic.
Dov Brickner     MD
Beer-Sheva   ISRAEL