[ RadSafe ] uranium combustion product inhalation

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Sun Feb 11 00:00:12 CST 2007

The Federation of American Scientists web site at:
http://www.fas.org/main/home.jsp   is one of many excellent reference
sources for data about munitions, weapon systems, and so on. I may be
mistaken, but the previous assertion that the US neither makes nor uses
any bullets made of or containing DU is correct without qualification --
No DU bullets .....

Projectiles, as in warheads on rockets, missiles, and cannon projectiles
(e.g., 20 mm cannon rounds) employ DU in order to penetrate and destroy
armor, tanks, and perhaps some structures. No bullets. So-called small
arms bullets used in pistols, revolvers, rifles, and automatic weapons
even up to and including heavy .50 caliber machine guns use zero DU.
Most readers on this List recognize this, but there appears reason from
time to time to again kill this dead horse. There are no "DU bullets
made to kill people" -- that is done with lead and lead bullets jacketed
with a harder alloy to protect the bore of the weapons using bullets.
Grenades ( hand, rifle, and 40 mm) likewise contain no DU -- it would be
a logistics waste.

If I've overlooked something here, please correct my oversight.
Cheers,
Maury&Dog