AW: AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Exposed "had lower incidences ofallcancers - "Environmental -

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Sat Feb 17 08:53:54 CST 2007

"I am sorry, but what selection do you think I made."

John,

you prompted me by the following request:

"That being said, are the values for reduced cancer incidents also insignificant?"

made in your mail:

My reply

> regarding the "reduced cancer incidences" the message of table III is equally clear.: ...
>
>all cancers: 95/114.9 -> SIR95%=(0.67, 0.83, 1.01) : non-significant
>all w/o leukaemia: 88/111.6 -> SIR95%=(0.63, 0.79, 0.97) : formally significant
>all solid cancers: 82/109.5 -> SIR95%=(0.60, 0.75, 0.93) : formally significant

was a reaction to your 'challenge' and in so far it was you who 'selected' these reduced incidences.

Thank you for the Matanoski abstract in Rad. Res., which I did not have so far. You sent me the Boice paper already previously and I concurred in a mail to you that overall it was a balanced and faithful summary of Matanoski's report - with the exception of the "healthy worker" argument which simply did not hold in the cursory way  presented. I also commented that the 'sweeping' depreciation of Matanoski's findings which you occasionally base on Boice's paper is not endorsed by his wording.

Regarding the remainder of your note I realize a convergence of  positions.

Kind regards, Rainer