AW: AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Exposed "had lower incidences ofallcancers - "Environmental -

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 10:13:57 CST 2007

Rainer,
Not to belabor the point (which we seem to be doing),
you originally commented on the fact the
radiobiologist would not consider that differences of
2 to 3 times the normal incidence rate would not be
considered significant.  I took that to mean the
cancer incident rate.  My comment was that they would
not consider the beneficial effects would also be
considered insignificant.

I do not understant your not citing the leukemia data
in any of your posting, but I assumed that was your
bias.  I never said the data does not detail a reduced
overall cancer rate, but ignoring certain aspects of
the report is cherry-picking.  Not very scientific.
Personally, I would like to see studies at 30 and 40
years.

I would consider this report to be one of many that
are in the literature.  As for the Matanoski report, I
do say that if the data is questionable, should it be
cited?  If cited, they I would expect a scientist to
also note that there are questions about its validity.

But that is just me.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> "I am sorry, but what selection do you think I
> made."
>
> John,
>
> you prompted me by the following request:
>
> "That being said, are the values for reduced cancer
> incidents also insignificant?"
>
> made in your mail:

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist