[ RadSafe ] FW: tritium info -& Parkinson's law

jjcohen at prodigy.net jjcohen at prodigy.net
Mon Feb 19 19:23:07 CST 2007

Stewart,
    With regard to the environmental Tritium "problem", your note citing
Parkinson's Laws hits the nail right on the head. I gave a paper titled "The
Socioeconomic Impact of Tritium Releases to the Environment" at the 1972 EPA
Symposium on Tritium. I won't belabor the assessment methodology here, but
the results showed that under any reasonably conceivable scenario it would
be impossible to create a significant environmental health problem with
Tritium. Cost-benefit analysis indicated that any expenditure to prevent
Tritium release to the environment in excess of ten cents per curie released
could not be considered cost-effective. Needless to say, this work was not
well-received by those working on evaluation and control of Tritium releases
to the environment.
        Jerry Cohen