[ RadSafe ] Uranium (and Canada) A Discussion Guide -- Questions & Answers (1)

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Mon Feb 19 22:32:52 CST 2007

This seems to be generally accurate, but I wonder if it all is and I would appreciate your assistance in evaluating it.
http://www.ccnr.org/nfb_uranium_0.html

For example it states

"Inside the body, however, alpha emitters are the most dangerous. They are about 20 times more damaging than beta emitters or gamma emitters. Thus, although alpha radiation cannot penetrate through a sheet of paper or a dead layer of skin, alpha emitters are extremely hazardous when taken into the body by inhalation or ingestion, or through a cut or open sore."

I would really wonder whether it is more dangerous to take in an Alpha emitter rather than one that emits Gamma radiation.

This same website also hosts Rosalie Bertell's paper connecting the Gulf War Syndrome to depleted uranium and that appears to be highly suspect so I wonder about the rest of the site.

Thank you.

Roger Helbig