AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: :KI

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Feb 21 11:53:15 CST 2007

Dear jjcohen - wasn't it Jerry once upon a time?

Nice to read a politically incorrect message on RADSAFE which does not
originate from my computer....

Three answers:

#1, the scientific one: Hypertension should probably not be the main
problem. I admit that I thought since years, why KI is used and not NaI.
Reading your mail I decided to call a good friend at the Austrian Ministry
of Health, who is among other duties responsible for the Austrian KI
distribution. We had a very long conversation, including the question of
"Lugol's solution" for blocking the thyroid, which was used in parts of
Eastern Poland, but it turned out that we finally agreed, that NaI was not
chosen and recommended, because it is highly hygroscopic. Any elder or
probably even younger one on RADSAFE should remember that NaI(Tl) detectors
were and are tightly encapsulated, because they are hygroscopic!!!!! This
might pose some problems in distributing NaI pills.

#2, the politically incorrect one: The intake of KI pills in the case of a
large area contamination by a nuclear accident is at least in Austria not
recommended for persons older than 50 years. Though I have been on the
various committees, but before I filled 50, I do not know what the reason
was for this recommendation. Was it, that they would die anyway with and
without contamination soon, was it because of side effects of iodine to be
expected at that biblical age? (I am 62 now.)

#3, again scientific comment: People needing lithium are to my knowledge
usually much older than the 50 years described above. Even more lithium is
very expensive and is usually used in the nuclear bomb industry......

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.