[ RadSafe ] FW: [Rad_Sci_Health] Re: New Taiwan Study

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 10:04:41 CST 2007

Apparently, not everyone thinks that fatal cancers are
the only end-points to be evaluated for the effects of
low-level radiation exposure.  It would be convenient
to ignore other effects, but is it ethical?  Would you
wish to have your child exposed to a toxin (whatever
it is) that would increase their risk of cancer in
later life?

I am not sure that the headline "Childhood Cancer Rate
Increase by 40% by Low Dose Radiation" would play as
well.  You can certainly cherry-pick the data you
want, but what are the consequences?

--- "Muckerheide, Jim  (CDA)"
<Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us> wrote:

> Friends, FYI.
>
> Regards, Jim
> ===========
>
> Isn't the most useful statistic the 40% reduction of
> all cancers for
> those over age 30 exposed to a substantial amount
> (>50 mSv) over the
> years? ( 50% reduction for solid cancers). This is
> in the table on page
> 885.
>
> If radiation prophylaxis is ever applied to a
> population, it would be
> for those over age 30 certainly. I think that even
> though it ignored
> mortality, this is a very helpful study and confirms
> the nuclear
> shipyard worker study results.
>
> Newspaper headlines should read "Adult Cancer Rate
> Reduced 40% by Low
> Dose  Radiation," but you don't find this in the
> abstract.
>
> Jay

On Nov. 26, 1942, President Roosevelt ordered nationwide gasoline
rationing, beginning December 1.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist