[ RadSafe ] High Level Radioactive Waste -- Shortest Half-Lived Isotopes

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Thu Jan 4 04:52:14 CST 2007

Can any of you point me to a readily available source of information on the shortest half-lived isotopes and what constitutes high level radioactive waste?  Seeing the article on Polonium-210 got me thinking about ways to put U-238 (aka Depleted Uranium) more in the proper context .. there is a vet who claims his coffin will be radioactive for 4.5 billion years because he claims to be affected by DU poisoning.  I have a feeling he is a bit tetched in the head, especially from the way he shoves his views down your throat because he is a former Green Beret, but I would rather just put DU into context and compare it to the really hot and nasty stuff.

Thank you.

Roger Helbig