[ RadSafe ] nuclear-powered submarine has collided with a Japanese tanker

Dawson, Fred Mr Fred.Dawson199 at mod.uk
Tue Jan 9 01:28:26 CST 2007

BBC reports US sub collides with Japan ship

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6243395.stm

A US nuclear-powered submarine has collided with a Japanese tanker near
the Straits of Hormuz, Japanese and US government officials have said.
The USS Newport News did not suffer substantial damage, and there were
no injuries to crew, a US Navy spokeswoman told the AFP news agency.

There were no oil spills from Japanese tanker, the Mogamigawa, and no
injuries, a company official said. The tanker will dock in the United
Arab Emirates to check the damage. The bow of the submarine collided
with the stern of the oil tanker at 1915GMT just outside the busy
shipping lanes of the Straits of Hormuz.

US Navy spokesman in Bahrain said that there had been a collision.

"I can confirm that an incident took place between one of our submarines
and a merchant ship," said Commander Kevin Aandahl of the US Fifth
Fleet.

The 110-metre (360-foot) USS Newport News carries a crew of 127.

Fred Dawson
Fwp-dawson at hotmail.com