[ RadSafe ] Re: Indian Point in the news - Hudson fish near nuke plant contain [reduced] strontium-90 -"A red-herring??"

stewart farber SAFarber at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 16 13:54:38 CST 2007

Hello all,

As is well established, one does not have Sr-90 released from a nuclear
plant without much higher total activity of Cs-137 [i.e.: for unit release
of Sr-90, the Cs-137 release >>> 1]. Lots of reasons related to waste
control systems and behavior of Sr-90 vs. Cs-137 regarding fractionation in
any leakage path, but not necessary to go into details.

Cs-137 once released into the environment will be concentrated in fish much
more than Sr-90 for any concentration in water [especially in fresh water].
So any release of activity from Indian Point [or any nuclear plant], if
significant vs. background levels of these isotopes residual from bomb
testing, would result in elevated Cs-137 in fish before anything significant
showed up with measured Sr-90 activity.

The low levels of Sr-90 reported in this news article are almost certainly
an analytical artifact. Since half of the fish sampled 10 miles upriver
[what would be considered a "background" area had Sr-90, one-third higher
than fish taken near the plant, it is unlikely the plant and its recent
releases of Sr-90 [or Cs-137] are connected in any way.

Without much elevated levels of Cs-137 in all of these fish, especially
those sampled near the plant, this whole issue of supposed slightly elevated
Sr-90 in fish sampled near and upriver is likely just a "red herring" being
promoted by those with an anti-nuclear agenda to scare the public.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Farber Technical Services
1285 Wood Ave.