[ RadSafe ] Uranyl and increased risk ratio

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Jan 17 20:42:33 CST 2007

Jan. 17, 2007

SD  Steven Dapra
JS   James Salsman

SD-1
How do you know, JS, that there is "no alternative explanation"?

JS-1
What teratogens have been suggested that anyone might have
been exposed to in 1991 Iraq which do not cause an even more
pronounced increase in rapid-onset cancers? According to the
CDC, most of the sulfur mustards and sarin, which were involved,
do. Uranyl does not. There have been no such alternative
hypothesis -- PB, anthrax vaccine, pesticides, and oil smoke
have all been ruled out.

SD-2
I asked you to explain your claim.  I did not ask you to ask me to explain it.
Your pseudo-explanation has too many "no's" and "not's" in it to be coherent.

SD-1
You seem to be implying that there was in abrupt increase in
cancer (is that morbidity or mortality?) within a period of six years.
The typical latency period for hard tumors in 20 years.

JS-1
No, cancers in the U.S. and U.K. soldiers remained very low in the
first six years, but recently have began to pick up, especially for
brain and testicular cancers. I suspect in 2011 the cancer rate
for the troops will be substantially higher across the board.

SD-2
Where has this increase in incidence been reported?  Please give
the full citation(s).  What you "suspect" will happen in 2011 has nothing
to do with what has been happening in the six year period you initially
invoked.

SD-1
What does a steep increase in cancers have to do with
teratogenicity? Teratogens cause birth defects, they do not
cause cancers.

JS-1
Not exactly. Uranyl compounds such as uranium trioxide gas
are teratogens which do not cause much immediate-onset
cancer, unlike most teratogens including all of the nerve gases
that I have looked at.

SD-2
"Not exactly" what?  Are you saying uranyl compounds do not cause
"much" immediate-onset cancer, but that they cause more than "much"
cancer later on?  How much is "much"?  Have you given us any studies
showing that uranyl compounds cause cancer at any time?  (Perhaps
you have and I did not see the citations.)  You say "unlike most teratogens".
What does this mean?  Do most teratogens, including the nerve gases
you have looked at, cause cancer?  Do you have citations to studies?

SD-1
Do you have a citation (other than Hindin) for those alleged
excess Basrah cancers?

JS-1
Sure, I have plenty. Here's one from a Mount Sinai Pathologist:
http://www.nuclearpolicy.org/files/nuclear/fasy_jun_14_03.pdf

SD-2
It appears that Eric Daxon has taken care of this.  I have not read it yet.
You say you have "plenty."  What are some of the others?  This time give
studies that have been published in peer-reviewed journals that are
anonymously reviewed.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com