[ RadSafe ] SI Units

osuleiman at comcast.net osuleiman at comcast.net
Thu Jan 18 08:52:11 CST 2007

Et al-

I find it really disturbing when it comes to how US scientists, primarily, myself included, insist on using older  units.  It's not like the Roentgen has been around for 2000 years, 1928 if you're interested. SI was introduced in the 70's.

I do have discomfort using SI units, I will not lie.  However, if we are to be progressive, and standardizing to minimize confusion is a noble cause, why do we have an "our way or the highway" attitude?  Fortunately the professional journals, and other organizations including the government are moving forward, although at an extremely slow rate. I remember when I was first introduced to SI in the 70's, that was several decades ago.  As a scientific professional  I am frankly embarassed. Dissent is a right, and I exercise it here.

And I do think that universal adoption of SI units will eventually happen, it really is inevitable- but I continue to be amazed that it is discussed and debated to the extent that it is.  How can one expect to be respected as open minded and collegial and yet behave in a way that can only be perceived as bordering on the stubborn?

We have more important things to discuss.

From: "Sandy Perle" <sandyfl at cox.net>