AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Exposed "had lower incidences of all cancers - "Environmental -

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Tue Jan 23 06:31:21 CST 2007

Don,

if indeed continuous irradiation at the chronic exposure rates typical for the Taiwan sample population did suppress carcinogenesis by (i) accelerated cellular damage repair, (ii) by enhanced apoptosis of irreparable cells, (iii) by enhanced tissue homeostatic control due to a bystander effect and (iv) by raising the defences of the immune system due to as yet enigmatic mechanisms then - after approach to a stationary equilibrium level - you would expect what the earlier report claims to have seen. You would also expect that the thereby reduced cancer rate approaches again (from below) the normal cancer incidence rate after cessation of such a protective radiation exposure - what appears to be compatible with the later report. Given that and the data(!) of the later report one might muse whether one had done better to let these people continue to live in their flats - with the exception of the most highly exposed and of school children.

Unfortunately both reports present insufficient information to assess what other reasons might contribute to their discrepancy. The earlier lacks adequate data for me to assess technical aspects of epidemiology, the second only presents parameter fit values to support its claim but no data to assess the fit quality (Chisquare statistics and the like for me are only sufficient if you are estimating the parameters of an analytical model WELL founded in theory or first principles - and even then I would insist to see the scatterplot of the residuals if the result had any impact on my own work). So without proper methods (Chen 2004) and proper/complete data (Hwang 2006) the door remains wide open for speculations of any kind.

Your conclusion about follow-up studies of course remains appropriate!

Kind regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine