[ RadSafe ] Re: Incidence vs death question, was: Exposed " -had lower incidences of all cancers - "

Keith Welch welch at jlab.org
Thu Jan 25 15:42:40 CST 2007

Thanks Floyd.  Just a clarification.  I didn't mean that workers were
removed from employment at the yard after being diagnosed; just removed
from rad-worker status, and therefore possibly excluded from making it
into the exposed cohort.  I used to work at a shipyard also, and I knew
one or two folks who were cancer patients while employed there.  My
recollection is that the first thing that happened in that event was to
"take them off badge".  What I'm wondering is how that might (if at all)
have affected the probability of that person being included in the
"exposed" cohort.  I wonder what the selection criteria were.  I was
also told anecdotally of people who were excluded from nuclear worker
status by pre-screening for family history.

Keith