[ RadSafe ] Facts from Dr. Kang

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Tue Jan 30 21:32:16 CST 2007

January 30, 2007

On 1-28-07 James Salsman wrote: "The fact remains that the number of birth
defects in the children of combat-deployed male U.S. and U.K. 1991 Gulf War
troops has been rising sharply, from 180% above the non-combat troops from
the same era in 2000, to 220% in 2003."

         On July 25, 2006, James Salsman wrote: "I spoke with Dr. Kang by
telephone today.  He confirmed that the total number of "moderate to
severe" birth defects in children of male Gulf War veterans INCREASED from
an odds ratio of 1.8 from survey data to 2.2 after the pediatric medical
records were examined."

         Note the differences.  On Jan. 28 it's "birth defects."  On July
25, it's "moderate to severe" birth defects.  On Jan. 28 it's
"combat-deployed" male veterans.  On July 25 it's "Gulf War veterans."  (A
veteran is someone who was or may have been deployed in the theater.  A
mere veteran did not necessarily see combat.  Some Vietnam era veterans
never got near Vietnam.)

         On July 25 Salsman also wrote, "Dr. Kang refuses to release that
draft or cite it in his bibliography because of his concerns about its
accuracy brought about by that reviewer's request.  Dr. Kang is no longer
seeking publication of the pediatric evaluation until considerably more
data is obtained by the V.A., in hopes that the odds ratios for the
specific types of birth defects can be shown with enough accuracy to be
considered statistically significant.  The process of collecting such data
is going slowly, Dr. Kang said, because of the difficulty of having veteran
parents come in with their kids."

         An unreleased draft that the author won't cite, and the author has
stopped seeking publication of it because he needs "considerably more
data."  Do you really expect us to believe this?

         On July 25, James, you also alluded to a paper by Doyle and
Ryan.  What is this?  Was their paper published, and if so what is the
citation?

         You invocation of Dr. Kang (whoever he may be) proves
nothing.  Give us the citation to a primary source that proves --- or at
least suggests --- that birth defects have increased from 180% to
220%.  Everyone who is following this can see you are being evasive, so
knock it off and give us a citation.  While you're at it, you can also give
us a citation to Dr. Kang's Annals of Epidemiology report that you
mentioned.  (And leave agent orange out of this.)

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com