[ RadSafe ] Mangano's New Study

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 1 23:35:45 CDT 2007

I've commented before that Mangano is a 2nd generation Sternglass  wannabe.
The importance of Mangano learning his 'craft' over  the past five or so
years at Sternglass' elbow [up until recently Sternglass was still working
with Mangano and the Tooth Fairy Project --I'm not sure of the current
connection, if any,  between Sternglass and Mangano] is that the National
Academy of Sciences  and the Health Physics Society and other professional
societies around 1980 in one of the BEIR [Biological Effects of Ionizing
Radiation] Consensus Reports pointed out that Sternglass was guilty in all
of his supposed studies and claims of only selecting data which supported
any specific hypothesis he suggested, and ignoring data which did not. This
is not the way a scientist approaches testing a hypothesis and shows the
person behaving in such a manner is a propagandist -- not a responsible
scientist.

I recall seeing a good paper by Andy Hull, published in some IAEA
publication back in the late 1970s after Andy's presentation at an
international meeting sponsored by the UN.  Andy Hull of Brookhaven National
Lab gave examples of how for any given nuclear plant selected for a
Sternglass "study" to show a supposed health detriment, Sternglass would
move a window [a slice or duration] of time along for that specific reactor
until he found a time when some cancer rate went up for that brief period.

Sternglass would then take his arbitrary slice of time and move it along for
the given plant until some radioactive release was elevated at the
particular reactor and then claim that the increase in cancer rate [in a
small population of people based on a few cases in total] in that  brief
interval of time caused the "cancer increase".   Dose did not matter.
Induction period did not matter. Whether cancer rates went down for some
equivalent intervals of time when plant releases went up did not matter. The
point [and beauty of this antinuke approach] is a real increase in cancer
rate over some meaningful period of time [a longer duration at a given
reactor] isn't even necessary!!

It is only necessary that some increase in detriment occur over a brief
interval of time, even when the cancer rate when averaged out over a longer
period of time shows no increase around the given reactor. Elegant in its
simplicity and in its deceipt.

Sometimes the effect claimed by the antinuke can be immediate. Mangano and
some of his "associates" have made some absurd claims that a shutdown in a
given reactor was followed by an immediate reduction in cancer rates around
a given reactor.

Mangano will someday be as debunked by professional organizations as
Sternglass was 30 years ago. However, the criticism by these professional
organizations will never get the press that the original claims received,
because professional societies are not very good at manipulating the public,
the media, or legislators.

Unfortunately, as Mark Twain observed:

A lie can race its way around the world while truth is still tying its
shoes.

The deceptions by Mangano, and others connected with the Tooth Fairy
Project, could be easily debunked by any scientist with a basic
understanding of epidemiology, environmental radiation from nuclear plants,
and radiation bioeffects willing to spend enough time to make the effort.
Unfortunately, nuclear organizations and government agencies do not
generally commit even the minimal resources needed to allow a credible,
capable scientist to do the necessary technical analysis of the false
claims.

After completing any such analysis debunking their critics, these same
nuclear industry organizations would likely be unable, or unwilling, to act
to get their analysis before the public for fear of actively joining in a
fight that is in the interests of the organization sponsoring the vital
critique.  Unfortunate, and ultimately part of the reason the nuclear power
industry will likely never get as far as they hope with many of their future
nuclear power plant projects. A regrettable situation and ultimately tragic
considering the money wasted on delayed and dead ended projects, and the
effects of the alternate forms of power generation with great environmental
impacts which will be pursued, or the effects of not having enough energy
when and where it is needed.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Farber Technical Services