[ RadSafe ] TFP comment I, Sr Radiochemistry

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Jul 4 09:07:55 CDT 2007

Dear Erik,

Thank you for the link, which I had lost.

This is in the current discussion part I of my comments. In order to prevent
further speculations on that topic I put forward my "credentials" in this
case: I know the instrument used extremely well. I have given some ideas on
my perception of an ideal LSC counter in the early 80's, I have tested the
first prototype and I purchased the first (heavily discounted) sold
instrument. I have together bought five counters, finally in 1999 I had five
counters running day and night also during holidays and weekends. They were
used for radionuclide determination in environmental samples, including
tritium in precipitation and drinking water, Ra-226 and Rn-222 in water,
Rn-222 in air, C-14 and tritium in alcohol and vinegar, Sr-90 in food and
bioindicators and whatever else was to be solved by LSC. I might be regarded
as an expert on this instrument.

The information given on the link about the Quantulus is wrong. This
instrument is still manufactured at what was the Wallac Oy company in Turku,
Finland. Unfortunately Perkin Elmar discontinued the production of excellent
other LS-counters at Turku after the purchase. Does that mean, that those
people do not even know, where their instruments are manufactured?

To your concerns:

Ad 1) The Quantulus is equipped with an alpha-beta separation capability. In
case radium would be present in the measurement sample it could be easily
detected and corrected for. I have no hint, that it was accounted for, but
not any hint either that it was  n o t  acounted for.

Ad 2) I agree that there is no information about the quench. Since Sr-90 and
Y-90 have relative high beta energies the quench might not be to serious -
but this should be checked.

Ad 3) I agree totally with regard to the statistics, but I doubt that the
influence of different sample composition of the background samples on the
results would be very significant.

Ad 5) The "intercomparisons" mentioned are nothing but a bad joke!!! The
laboratory mentioned is obviously not accredited - how could it be, when
just comparing one or two samples with another not accredited laboratory?

Nevertheless, these arguments do not necessarily contradict the observed
variations of Sr-90 concentration in teeth.

Wait for my TFP comment II for more information!

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.