[ RadSafe ] Mangano's New Study

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Jul 5 19:12:29 CDT 2007

July 5, 2007

"I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I would reiterate that
this, for lack of a better description, "thought process", is not
politically limited to the left. I recently had someone tell me that the
tax cuts President Bush got enacted were a tremendous success, as
demonstrated by increased revenue. The deficit and spending connected with
the War were not factored in."

SD's comment:

         You are correct.  The lack of a thought process is not limited to
any group, it is ubiquitous.  There is also a big problem with tunnel vision.

Mike also wrote:

"I know a person who talks to various groups, explaining how the observed
size of the universe and the 10,000 year existence of said universe (as he
believes the Bible states) are reconciled by the "fact" that the speed of
light is getting slower. To support this he lists a couple dozen estimates
of the speed of light that have been made over the last couple centuries,
and the older ones on his list are indeed higher than the most recent. When
asked if there were any measurements that were not included on his list he
admits that there were, but that they were all flawed. The nature of the
flaw?  They didn't fit the curve he had drawn to support his premise."

SD's comment:

         The originator, or a leading proponent, of the speed of light
argument is one Barry Setterfield.  A year or two ago I looked at
Setterfield's website and he readily acknowledges not having even a
Bachelor's degree in astronomy.  I would say that this disqualifies him
from making any but the most general and commonplace observations about
astronomy or anything pertaining thereto.

         In January 1995 I attended a large Creation Science seminar and
one of the speakers pointed out some flaws or shortcomings in the speed of
light argument.  This speaker was also not an astronomer, however as I
recall the flaws he discussed did not require any specialized knowledge of
astronomy.

         Although some people may still be using it, the speed of light
argument seems to have fallen into general disfavor with
creationists.  Over a year ago I looked at the website of Answers in
Genesis, a large Creation Science organization, and found that AIG was
asking people to not use this argument.

         I am sending this message to explain what appears to be the
current state of affairs in speed of light.  I do not want to enter into a
debate on this subject, not by private e-mail, and certainly not on
RADSAFE.  Thank you for your consideration.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com