[ RadSafe ] Californium vs. Americium

Syd H. Levine syd.levine at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 8 20:37:41 CDT 2007

I bit the bullet and did some research.  Californium-252 is used in sources for simple neutron well logging quite successfully, but the relatively short half-life is a potential problem.  It's spontaneous fission neutron generation is greater than three orders of magnitude more efficient than the alpha-Be AmBe reaction, so there is little reason to worry about the Californium alphas.

Since I get many enquiries on AmBe source availability, I threw this page together this morning:
www.logwell.com/tech/nuclear/Californium-252.html

This page is intended primarily for independent well loggers needing information about alternatives to AmBe sealed sources.

If anybody sees any mistakes, inaccuracies, or omissions, I sure would appreciate input.

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.
Phone:  (270) 276-5671
Telefax:  (270) 276-5588