[ RadSafe ] A novel use of I-131

Syd H. Levine syd.levine at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 16 12:54:35 CDT 2007

I believe this account of how I-131 has been used in Florida to prove
mechanical integrity of municipal disposal wells is a bit confused.  EPA,
and the well logging licenses issued by NRC or agreement states never allow
the introduction of radioactive tracer material into a potable water supply
well.  In fact, I am aware of jobs in Florida that have been run with
Gold-198 where EPA was afraid the tracer material MIGHT get into the water
supply aquifer.  Further, I am aware of no municipal water supply well where
the same well bore is used for disposal (it is possible such a critter
exists, but I cannot imagine the UIC permit writers at EPA Region IV in
Atlanta issuing such a permit).

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.
Phone:  270-276-5671