[ RadSafe ] A novel use of I-131

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Mon Jul 16 18:50:04 CDT 2007

Hi Syd,

I will be happy to hook you up with the South Florida Water Management
District's staff hydrogeologist for a full explanation

of the process, or I myself will be glad to discuss the excruciatingly
detailed info for you and any others, personally, but not on the forum.

Contact me direct.

Our conversations today did lead to a correction of one point in my report
as shown below. The brine is pumped down into the ground

at the desalinization plant. No radiation is used there. The desal plant is
fed from a number of well sites, and those might be some

distance from the plant, miles even.

I-131 is used at the well site during testing. It is pumped down a
monitoring well of 2" or maybe 4" diameter, only a few hundred feet away
from

the production well. Over at the production well, water is pumped up until
I-131 is detected by the downhole tools. Data from these detectors are used

to calculate the water flow and gradient of the aquifer.

In the above process, FRESH WATER is used along with the I-131, and one
problem is that the fresh water mobilizes the NORM ( in this case, soluble
Uranium) in the aquifer.

By the way S. Fla has a fairly high concentration of NORM too. Bring a
scintillator to the beach.

On another water related subject-

Some contaminated groundwater sites with high levels of (waste) uranium are
being treated with BACTERIA in a pilot program called

In-Situ Groundwater Bioremediation.

see:

http://www.epa.gov/swerust1/cat/insitbio.htm

 Bacteria are introduced into the groundwater, then methane is pumped down
as an

energy source (food). The bacteria metabolize the methane, in the act they
eject an electron. This electron is picked up by the valence

shell of the uranium, changing the oxidation state of the U atom. Once the
uranium is changed from U(VI)  to U(IV), it is no longer water

soluble, dropping out of the water and stabilizing in the immediate area.

See;

http://bioteach.ubc.ca/Journal/V02I01/bioremediation.pdf

DOE is using this method on some superfund sites.

Darndest thing.

If any of the members are actively participoating in this research, I would
appreciate hearing

from you on the subject or radiation metrology, especially the in-line
uranium immunosensor technology.

George Dowell
NLNL
New London Nucleonics Lab