[ RadSafe ] Feds puzzled by gamma radiation higher than normal near wildfire

Boomologist Boomologist at GotHotRocks.com
Mon Jul 16 14:40:26 CDT 2007

<<<Feds puzzled by gamma radiation higher than normal near wildfire>>>

    Near Spokane, Washington is what's left of the "Midnight" Uranium mine
which has been  closed for many years and is listed as a "super fund site".
About a week ago a wild fire occurred a few miles from the mine. The usual
firefighting was going on to include helicopters with buckets dropping water
on the fire. Some time into the incident someone noticed the helicopter was
dipping water from one of the settling ponds at the mine and dropping the
water on the fire. Readings were taken at the fire and there was elevated
activity. (I have no idea what the readings were or who had the instruments
to take the readings)
   At this fire was the usual news media sniffing around for anything they
could blow out of proportion. One of them got wind of the helicopter dipping
from the pond. After twisting the truth a bit they released a short story. I
fully expected a major evacuation of every city and town in the state but to
my surprise there was nothing more said about it, even from the other media.
    I did speak with a friend who lives in that area and was at the fire. He
told me that it was true about the helicopter dipping from the pond at the
Midnight.
                    Thanks,
                           Ron