[ RadSafe ] Re: Feds puzzled ....Cs-137, K-40 data -ratios and uptake in biomass

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 19 11:47:46 CDT 2007

George,

Thanks for your thoughts and earlier posting to a review paper on Cs-137
behavior in the environment, but there are some
missstatements/misunderstandings in your comment about the interaction of
stable Cs in soil and uptake of Cs-137.

You write:
">It should read Higher stable Cs, LOWER Cs-137 uptake.
> True, it is a simple ratio, as is the ratio of K and Cs is a simple
> ratio."

The above comment  about my post is erroneous. My comment about HIGHER
stable Cs in soil leading to HIGHER Cs-137 in biomass is accurate, and quite
easily explained given the mechanisms at play. I mentioned in my prior post
that  the behavior of Cs-137 vs. stable Cs in soil was counterintuitive.

It is opposite what would pertain in thinking about carrier solutions of a
rad isotope like Cs-137 and the effect of higher levels of stable carrier
Cs, as far as Cs-137 activity which might be taken up in hydroponic
experiments.  I tried to explain this mechanism for soil,  in passing, in my
earlier posts on Cs-137 fallout from bomb tests or nuclear plant releases
and uptake to biomass.

Again, the key factor is that soil particles have ion exchange sites that
can bind Cs.  If there is MORE stable Cs in the soil at the time of the
fresh fallout being deposited, these exchange sites on soil particles are
already filled up.  Then when carrier free Cs-137 is deposited from air to
soil,  this Cs-137 is NOT [or less] bound to the soil particles, as would
otherwise be the case. Fresh fallout Cs-137 then  is present in the
interstitial water space between soil particles,  and the newly deposited
Cs-137 is MORE available for uptake through plant roots.

Thus higher stable Cs in soil, in almost all cases, leads to higher Cs-137
uptake from soil to plant for fresh fallout which is coming down as carrier
free Cs-137. Rather interesting.

I don't have the references at hand to this effect, but did as I recall cite
them in my paper  presented to the 1991 HPS Annual Meeting titled:
"Nationwide Survey of Cs-137 in Woodash, Results of Nationwide Survey" or
"Woodburners and Organic Farmers -Is it Time to Kiss Your Ash Goodbye?"

BTW, when I did get a relatively overwhelming level of inquiry during 1990
and 1991 to the preceding technical paper, from newspapers and magazines
across the US and Canada I was able to assure readers that the very elevated
levels of Cs-137 in biomass from weapon's test fallout [up to 20,000
picoCuries per kg of ash, with later measurements as high as 25,000
picoCuries in ash from hardwood burning in Northern Florida] did not require
users of ash as a soil amendment [both on a single user domestic situation,
or large organic food coops] to kiss their ash goodbye, despite some
nuclear/hospital facilities being required to handle waste streams with this
level of Cs-137 as radwaste. Rather ironic.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Farber Technical Services
1285 Wood Ave.