[ RadSafe ] Ad: mushroom / Chernobyl

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Thu Jul 19 03:11:27 CDT 2007

Dan, and others:
The attached picture was taken a few km S of Chernobyl. The mushroom
(boletus) were actually quite OK, only a few kBq/kg d.m. 137Cs, also the
blueberries, with some 100 Bq/kg f.m. (The blueberries are very tasty,
by the way.)
In Austria mushroom (in particular xerocomus badius, a highly
appreciated species) with > 30 kBq/kg d.m. can still be found in some
regions.

I find the situation much worse in S Belarus, where local people are so
poor that they have to survive on forest products, in areas with 3
MBq/m2 137Cs and more.

pb

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."