[ RadSafe ] Re: Feds puzzled ....Cs-137, K-40 data -ratios and uptake in biomass

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:47:06 CDT 2007

Hi Stewart:

As a sidebar to this discussion, the practice of using "potash" from
cook stoves to fertilize backyard gardens around Chernobyl was and
perhaps still is a common practice, but is strongly discouraged
because of the significantly increased amount of Cs-137 in the ash.

When the Sosny Labs near Minsk were evaluating the fate of Cs-137 in
wood ash to be (possibly) used for biomass power engineering projects,
they found that virtually all of the Cs-137 remained in the bottom
ash.  The alternative was wildfires in the contaminated territories
(unmanaged/uneconomic forests) that tended to loft a significant
fraction of the ash as finely divided material in smoke plumes
carrying a significant source term.  This still causes significantly
elevated (up to 20X gamma background) in Minsk during the early autumn
when forest fires are common.

In the forests, most of the source term is captured "cation-exchanged"
onto the humus layer in the soil having very high cation exchange
capacity from 5-10 cm in depth.  The wildfires would tend to burn not
only the trees but the forest floor as well and loft this material.  A
person to contact at Sosny would be Alexander (Sasha) Grebenkov, who
is still pursuing this area of research.  Valeri Goulo (IAEA), while
he was at Sosny, continuously monitored the background radiation.

Although the ingestion of mushroom caps and berries "in the zone" is
discouraged, when I close my eyes and remember the area around the
contaminated zones, I always see the image of an old man walking with
a basket through the forest picking mushrooms, a common pastime in
Central and Eastern Europe.  The French experimented with mushrooms as
a means to remove Cs-137 from forest soils in the Chernobyl area.

Best regards!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
Albuquerque & Houston