[ RadSafe ] RE: Oak Ridge Case

Shawn Hughes (Road2) srh at esper.com
Thu Jul 19 19:42:37 CDT 2007

This dirtbag lives five miles from me. He didn't have any secrets, per se.
He was initially a Q-cleared escort, and later was assigned to D&D at K25.
He pocketed certain materials considered mission critical to the gaseous
diffusion process (the *key* part), and attempted to sell it to a few
places. When he called the French Embassy, shortly thereafter, he got set
up.

Last year, every alphabet agency in the country decended on my teeny hamlet
to recover the materials, and make sure he didn't have anything else. The
high powered Knoxville attorney is trying to paint it as he took some pipes
destined for the scrap heap. For around a year now, his lawyer and the
Government have been working out a plea agreement, and apparently it fell
through, because the USAO got an indictment for him.

It's caused quite the furor here. We still have huge billboards saying
"loose lips sink ships" here. Quite frankly, its' an embarrassment.

-Shawn

Oak Ridge Worker Charged With Trying To Sell Nuclear Secrets

A former Bechtel Jacobs contract worker is accused of stealing nuclear
secrets from the East Tennessee Technology Park (ETTP), the former K-25
site, in Oak Ridge.

67-year-old Roy Lynn Oakley of Roane County has been indicted on charges
of trying to sell classified material to a foreign country in violation
of the Atomic Energy Act.

Oakley was arrested as part of a months-long sting operation in which
federal agents posed as agents of a foreign country seeking to buy the
classified materials.

Officials say that the breach is a serious one, and there is concern the
stolen nuclear secrets, which may include information about the uranium
enrichment process, could have fallen into enemy or terrorist hands.

Oakley apparently worked as a contract "escort" at ETTP, taking visitors
to and from various offices at the lab.

He turned himself in to authorities Thursday morning, and is expected to
be arraigned in federal court in Knoxville Thursday afternoon.

-Tom

Shawn R. Hughes
Special Projects Consultant
near Oak Ridge, Tennessee
(865) voice
srh at esper.com primary email
www.shawnrhughes.com fledgling webpage

WARNING AND NOTICE:
This email may contain privileged information. If it is not addressed to you
by me, you do not have the right to read or use it. If you do not get a
prompt reply to your email from me, it is because I have set filtering very
high due to the age of my account. Please try an alternate form of
messaging.

UNCLASSIFIED

END TEXT