[ RadSafe ] Re: Feds puzzled by gamma radiation higher thannormalnear

Dimiter Popoff didi at tgi-sci.com
Thu Jul 19 17:13:19 CDT 2007

> Canberra and Ortec (or whatever they are called now) do supply portable HPGE
> detectors with the associated equipment and software.  The cost is at least
> 50 K US$ or more.  They are faily easy to operate, if one has worked in a
> facility with regular ones.  There may be others taht are available.

 I guess I should have put more of disclaimer of some sort than
the link in my signature.

 There are not many others HPGe capable portable MCAs, but there are
some - like ours :-).

 And the prices definitely don't start at $50k.

 But my point was that while HPGe capable, especially up-to-date,
DSP based instrumentation may not be cheap [ it takes _a lot_ more
expertise to make them than NaI, anybody can do NaI - and I know
of at least one company which has been trying to make a DSP based
MCA for HPGe and failed for 15+ years so far... ], they are within reach,
especially if compared to the widespread toyish nonsense which
are useless for their alleged purpose in too many cases (and the
toys are by far not cheap, let's don't forget that).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com