[ RadSafe ] Re: Feds puzzled ....radionuclide speciation

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Fri Jul 20 03:43:52 CDT 2007

Johansen, Kjell wrote:
> One aspect of this discussion about Cs-137 uptake as it relates to
> weapons testing fallout is that not all of the fallout Cs-137 was
> readily available for uptake in that it was bound to particles.  If I
> remember correctly, there was a paper in Science back in circa 1961
> which stated that about 40% of the deposited Cs-137 was tied up in
> particles/bomb debris from which it was not immediately available for
> biological uptake.  Does anyone know whether the similar fractionation
> occurred in the Chernobyl debris?

Yes there is a strong fractionation particle / condensed in Chernobyl
releases. There is ample literature about the subject: e.g., a map of
the percentage of particulate fallout out of total is given in
Loshchilov et al. 1991, reproduced in Bar'yakhtar 1998. From the data, a
weathering constant of highly oxidized particles (the ones released
during the fire) of roughly 0.16 a^-1 can be estimated if an exp.
weathering model is assumed. In a different physical model, for soil
pH=5.5 (typical in the area) a loss of diameter of 0.237 um/a has been
estimated (formulae given in Bar'akhtyar 1998).
At the site where I have mostly been working (Kopachi, ca. 6 km S of
ChNPP; 1-3 MBq/m2 137Cs deposition) the initial particulate fraction was
estimated >=75%. For that site I estimate (unpublished) 68% of the
particles as of type 1 (highly oxidized; k-value<ca.25 ), the rest type
2 (emitted during the initial explosion, more resistant against
weathering, 25<k<250, k=ratio of 137Cs /154Eu, found to be a
classification criterion, Zhdanova et al. 2000). Very few particles
appear to be of condensed type (k>250) at that location. A small
fraction of particles represents structural material (60Co, 94Nb). The
condensed type particles, also called type A, became famous because some
of them consisted almost only of Ru (volatile as oxide, RuO4 if I
remember well), and could be found in air filters and environmental
samples all over Europe, but this nuclide has decayed since. - Some of
these HPs are also fine playgrounds for a-spectrometry, as they contain
quite exotic (compared to what one usually finds in the environment)
stuff like various Am and Cm isotopes.

One important radio-ecological effect of this fractionation is that
soluble fractions of radionuclides, and therefore available for plant
uptake, became available only gradually, which explains that TF and Tag
values have found to be numerically time dependent, and increasing,
simply because initially a large fraction was bound in particles.

pb

Bar’yakhtar V., V. Kukhar‘, I. Los‘, V. Poyarkov, V. Kolosha, V.
Shestopalov (eds.)(1998): Comprehensive risk assessment of the
consequences of the Chornobyl accident. Report, Science and Technology
Center in Ukraine, Ukrainian Radiation Training Centre, Project No. 369

Loshchilov N. A., V. A. Kashparov, Ye. B. Yudin, V. P. Protsak, M. A.
Zhurba, A. E. Parshakov (1991): Physical-chemical forms of the
radioactive fallout from the Chernobyl reactor accident. In:
Proceedings, Research coordination meeting on the rsdiobiological impact
of hot beta particles from the Chrnobyl fallout: risk assessment. Eds.
A. A. Moiseev, R. Mukherjee; Kiev 26-30 Aug 1991.

Zhdanova N., Redchitz T., Vasilevskaya A. I., Vember V., Fomina M.,
Zheltonozhsky V. A., Bondarkov M. D., Lashko T. N., Ukhin M. A., Olsson
St., Mück K., Strebl F. & Gerzabek M. H. (2000): Interaction between
biota micromycetes and hot particles after the Chernobyl NPP accident
and atomic explosions and investigation of their influence on
rehabilitating contaminated areas, Final Report INTAS Research Project
No. INTAS-UKRAINE 95-0171, 20. Nov. 2000.

Also very interesting articles (among many others on the subject):

Salbu B. et al. (2001): High energy X-ray microscopy for
characterization of fuel particles. Nuclear Instruments and Methods A
467-468,1249-1252

Salbu B. et al. (2004): Radionuclide speciation and its relevance in
environmental impact assessment. J. Env. Rad. 74, 233-242

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."