[ RadSafe ] [Nuclear News] Japan quake not seenslowingU.S.nuclearrevi.val TEPCO Release gives enoghammunition to anti nuclear activists

Mon Jul 23 16:03:15 CDT 2007

I certainly agree that in almost all companies and operations there are
all sorts of Industrial Hygiene issues that are far, far more dangerous
than whatever rad they may work with.  There are more than a few
chemicals that will kill or disable you with  a single lungful, as was
demonstrated recently when several people died after entering a closed
space.  Things that can burn or blow up at deadly levels are far more
common that rad sources that can cause real-time injury.  Heck, more
than a second or so spent at 32 ft/sec^2 is enough to do you in, and the
Earth's mass is always available to hurt you.

That being said, I am very much in favor of an RSO who has had more than
just a single training course, no matter how well done it is.  I have a
submariner's bias towards having people with a deep understanding of the
systems they are working with.  I've seen, sometimes first hand, when
people who know considerably more than just enough to do the day-to-day
job have saved the day.  At the very least, I think a facility working
with enough rad to cause real trouble (as opposed to PR trouble) should
have a highly knowledgeable if part-time RSO, with a full time trained
assistant RSO, such as an IH who has been through a course such as
described.  I also like the idea of everyone who works with rad knowing
more than just the basics needed for their job.