[ RadSafe ] PG&E Signs World's Largest Solar Power Deal

Thu Jul 26 11:20:20 CDT 2007

I am a HUGE fan of appropriate use of alternative energy sources.  I
knew the guy who did some of the original development on the dish
systems (he had a 10 meter dish that concentrated sunlight 110 to 1 and
could produce superheated steam in Washington on a cloudy day).  I wish
solar energy all the best.

That said, I think that large scale centralized electricity production
is the wrong model to follow.  The most appropriate solar energy use is
direct application of heat and light.  For any facility in the Sun Belt
that uses hot water, it is almost a crime not to at least pre-heat using
solar collectors.  With a little thought an planning the collectors can
be placed to decrease the sunlight hitting the building, and thus
decrease the energy needed to cool the building.  It is also relatively
simple to filter sunlight to remove much of the heat while using
skylights for interior illumination, during what is usually the peak
electricity use period.  I suspect that these don't get much play in the
press or support from governments because they aren't flashy and they
can't easily be controlled by big companies with lobbyists.