[ RadSafe ] PG&E Signs World's Largest Solar Power Deal

Otto Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 26 10:32:55 CDT 2007

At 05:26 AM 7/26/2007, Jean-Francois, Stephane wrote:
>  Otto, you are raising a question that I will humbly ask: How do one
>calculate the real cost of energy production ?
************
July 26, 2007

The cost of electricity generation that is calculated usually
includes all expenses including future decomissioning. You can find
lists of costs on the internet such as for California at
http://www.energy.ca.gov/electricity/comparative_costs.html

In the California example the cost per kilowatt-hour for nuclear is
1.4 to 1.9 cents and the additional decomissioning cost (in footnote)
is less than 0.1 cents per kilowatt-hour and for solar up to 42 cents
per kilowatt hour..

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140