[ RadSafe ] " Chernobyl benefit/harm"

Fri Jun 8 14:29:48 CDT 2007

Actually, I suspect that what would happen if the Ukrainian Government
tried that is the death toll would be in the thousands as people fought
over the best pieces, as people who "got there first" fought with people
who had lived there before, and as organized crime groups brought
organization to chaos by killing anyone who opposed them.

If Russians tried to get involved in the land grab I suspect there would
be a war.

The area exclusion area around Chernobyl could vanish from the Earth on
not decrease the amount of land in the Ukraine by a detectable amount.
That land not being used by people has little impact on the economic
health of the region.  Corruption within the government is a bigger
problem than a largish radioactive parkland.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of howard long
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 9:29 AM
To: John Jacobus; Franta, Jaroslav; Radsafe (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] " Chernobyl benefit/harm"

In Chernobyl, as in American health care, deregulating would give
greater safety and prosperity.

  What would happen if Chernobyl were treated like the Oklahoma land
rush? If I were a Russian, I'd get a PalmRad to avoid hot spots and move
into that land so inviting to wildlife. The prosperity could give far
more benefit than any harm from radiation, just as the increased
mobility from Vioxx benefited many patients more than harm from heart
attack risk.

  The worst of the Chernobyl disaster is imposed by government
regulators, as is our greatest drug risk in the USA: deprivation of
benefit.

  Howard Long

  John Jacobus <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Unless they capture, tag the animal and track them after the release,
I am not sure how useful any of the studies on mortality are.

--- "Franta, Jaroslav" wrote:

> Chernobyl wildlife baffles biologists; Animals are returning to area
> near meltdown, but scientists are split on their long-term fates
> Toronto Star, 8 June 2007 Douglas Birch, Associated Press

. . .