RE: [ RadSafe ] Martin Tondel´s thesis - Sweden and Chernobyl

Mon Jun 11 19:05:25 CDT 2007

How would the U-236 get into the DU?  DU is produced when U-235 is concentrated.  Are you saying that the uranium from the reactor was mixed with natural uranium, and then U-235 was concentrated to the desired enrichment level?  Do you have any references on this?

I think a more likely explanation for a lab finding U-236 in a sample is that they don't know what they are doing, and misidentified something.  I've seen that a number of times, particularly when activists are involved.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On Behalf Of Michael McNaughton
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 2:21 PM
To: edmond0033; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Martin Tondel´s thesis - Sweden and Chernobyl

At 07:14 PM 06/10/2007, edmond0033 wrote:
>I have a question which has puzzled me of late.  There is a feeling
>that the DU contains Uranium-236

Long ago, some enriched uranium was reprocessed. Enriched uranium that has been in a reactor contains U-236, and during the re-enrichment some of this
U-236 ended up in DU.

mike
Mike McNaughton
Los Alamos National Lab.
email: mcnaught at LANL.gov or mcnaughton at LANL.gov
phone: 505-667-6130; page: 505-664-7733