Re: [ RadSafe ] Martin Tondel´s thesis - Sweden and Chernobyl

John R Johnson idias at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Jun 11 19:47:14 CDT 2007

Radsafers

This is an interesting "thread".

Having managed bioassay labs, I don't think U-236 would be easy to identify.
Its alpha emission is 4.57 MeV (below the alpha energy of  most natural
radionuclides, and therefore likely high "background" counts) and the
photons from the ~ 50 keV excited state of Th-232 would be very difficult to
measure unless a special low energy detector was being used.

Hence I agree with Mike that they have "misidentified  something"

John
John R Johnson, PhD
CEO, IDIAS, Inc.
Vancouver, B. C.