[ RadSafe ] International Shipment Regs for RAM

Roy Parker radmail at cox.net
Sat Jun 16 13:33:44 CDT 2007

Joel,

The US DOT regulations, IATA and ICAO are all consistent on this issue.  If
the specific activity does not exceed the "Activity Concentration of Exempt
Material" then it is not defined as "radioactive" for the purpose of
transportation.  If the specific activity does exceed the "Activity
Concentration of Exempt Material" then you may consider the the total
activity in the "consignment."  If the total activity in the "consignment"
does not exceed the "Activity Limit for an Exempt Consignment" then the
material is not defined as "radioactive" for the purpose of transportation.
The definition of "consignment" is more explicit in ICAO and IATA for air
shipments and may be used: One or more packages of dangerous goods accepted
by an operator (carrier) from one shipper at one time and at one address,
receipted for in one lot and moving to one consignee at one destination
address.

Regards,

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant