[ RadSafe ] Re: Trying to track down for purchase a Scintrex UA3Uranium Fluorimeter

Marco Caceci chemitech at chemitech.com
Wed Jun 20 02:53:30 CDT 2007

I used to work with one.
We also had problems with the laser failing.
The nice thing was that Scintrex was providing the phosphate buffer that
you added to the water to get good readings...

If I had to do it now, I would use a UV LED as light source:
- a 170 uJ N2 laser with 20 Hz rate costs 5000 USD
- a 1 mW @ 20 mA 361 nm LED costs 2 bucks - you can get much higher
powers if you are willing to pay.

You can of course now build a photometer or a spectrophotometer using
COTS parts, portable or benchtop, I estimate between 3000 and 12000 USD
depending on specs... I will not advertise here, but glad to help design
a sistem, anybody interested contact me off-list

All the best now

Marco Caceci